Thursday, April 1, 2010

EASTER CELEBRATION

 
I remember the night before Easter when my late grandmother (peace be upon her) gathered all her grandchildren to sleep with them in their big house after the entire members of the family decided for a celebration the following day. 

I was still in my primary and among the grandchildren who was there to join the celebration.

Since my late grandparents owned a wide acres of land, mostly of their 14 children lives within the area just few meters away from the big house. Their house was built and erected in the middle portion of the land and was also made as venue for family gathering, assembly or any
special occasion to be held.

As early of the morning dawn, my late grandmother was already awake busy preparing for the Easter celebration. Since I was very observant, I was also awake watching what she had been doing.

When sunrise was about to glow, my late grandmother together with my late grandfather (peace be upon them) visited all the fruit trees around their house and every fruit tree they'd  passed by, they grasp and shake it  and at the same time in a very low voice uttering the words, "grow, grow, grow!"

I was wondering what does it mean and why they were doing such. I just kept on watching. After grasping and shaking all the fruit trees, they went back to the house and awaken all their grandchildren then brought them outside the house, telling them to jump three times and at the same time say: "grow, grow, grow!" "Grow, grow, grow!" The other grandchildren were cuddling the kids and tossing them up at the same time saying, "grow, grow, grow." "Grow, grow, grow!"

Few hours later, all their children arrived, each of them were bringing different kind of foods and placed it in a long table of the kitchen. When all the members of the family were present, my late grandmother called for a breakfast where everybody responded and my late grandfather led the prayer.

After breakfast, the entire family went to the beach for a picnic bringing some of the food left during breakfast. From there, the same entire family went home directly to the house of my late grandparents and spent the dinner together. 

My innocent mind kept on asking, why my grandparents were grasping and shaking the fruit trees including their grandchildren? 

Despite of such innocent query, deep in my heart I was very happy sharing happy moments to my family. 

Later, I've learned that the practice made by my grandparents was just a traditional Easter celebration!
 
________________


/the author

No comments:

The Sexy Blogger Award
Awarded by bestre to verity

LINKS

Share Page Rank Check